Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best CCW positions if you drive for a living

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice. I currently conceal carry cuz it's a wild world these days and I wanna always be prepared. I carry a Taurus PT111 and like it a lot as an EDC. I travel all across my state for work (salesman) and usually appendix carry because I feel like I can draw and fire the easiest and most accurate but damn if it's uncomfortable. I want to try a new position but want to know what you think is best before I go out and buy all new gear. You have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a lot of students that "drive" for a living, and a comfortable holster is paramount, as well as practicing getting to that holster. Appendix can work well with the right IWB holster, and some core conditioning, however, you may have to release your seatbelt to access your firearm, the same goes for strong-side hip holsters. Though I am not a big fan of cross-draw holsters, depending on the type of clothing you wear, this might be a viable option. The same goes for shoulder holsters, and some of the compression fit shirts that have a built in holster. I have several students that swear by them, and wear them daily.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Best for driving in my opinion is 5 o'clock. A nice comfortable holster. Access to your pistol is achieved by leaning forward and grabbing the steering wheel for leverage, and you don't have to unstrap yourself.

The fundamental question to ask, however, is why are you getting into a gunfight while sitting in the driver's seat of a perfectly operable car? You dun goofed.

Always egress

Comment

Everybody seems to have their own opinion and ideas about what works and doesn't work on this topic. I'll only add this: I've got a good 200,000 miles behind the wheel using a variety of different belt holsters. The main one, however, is an OTB appendix carry which I keep available to my RIGHT hand. (I'm ambidextrous, and I use holsters on both sides of my body, but left side carry really doesn't work well when you're behind the steering wheel of an American vehicle.)

I always 'dress around the gun'. My cover shirts and jackets are generally one size too large, and I keep the pistol's butt in close to my body. Seat belts haven't really been a problem. I simply thread mine under and behind any waist-mounted holster I use. Perhaps I should mention that the first thing I'll do as I fasten a seat belt is to push my jacket or cover shirt out of the way so that it doesn't cover over and trap the gun to my side.

The biggest seat belt problem I've had has been with my Glock pistols: The magazine release springs tend to be weak; and, on the newest Glock generations, the magazine release buttons have also been increased in size, and (in my considered opinion) are now too large. This combination of comparatively weak release springs, and large button heads has caused me to drop 3 Glock magazines onto the floor of my vehicle during the past 10 years. Each unexpected drop was due to sideways pressure applied to the mag. release by the vehicle's seat belt. It's true that this drop phenomenon doesn't happen very often, but it can and does happen!

(No there's nothing wrong with my release spring rods; my Glocks are very well used, very well maintained; and, along with the two other frame springs, the mag. release springs get replaced, at least, annually.)

As far as I'm concerned you're doing (almost) everything right. What I don't get is having to wear an IWB 2 o'clock carry holster all day long? Wouldn't an OTB holster be more comfortable? One more thing: After a lifetime of carrying pistols, sometimes for up to 14-16 hours a day, everything I've finally settled on is either a paddle, or a Tek-Lok clasp design. Years ago paddle holsters didn't work so good, and they used to draw with the gun; but that's no longer true. Today's paddles and Tek-Lok clasps work very well.

By the way, I've known several gunman who, sort of, gave themselves the best of both worlds! They used deep concealment (and generally safer) 5:00/7:00 carry holsters outside of the car, and quick attach/detach appendix carry holsters while they were inside a vehicle. I, personally, have never done anything like this, but I've seen it done, and it seems to work.
        ‘L‘Enfer C’est Les Autres, Et Les Choses Terribles Qu’ils Font!’

Comment

You can avoid the entire issue and install a holster into the vehicle easily accessible from where you drive. Have active retention on the holster. Check state laws.
          My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Working...
          X