WML on your CCW pistol?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WML on your CCW pistol?

Previously I asked about WML on pistols and should have clarified better. While I can see the benefit of a WML on a home defense gun or a pistol that is not concealed, what is the consensus about 1 for your CCW pistol. To me it would seem so bulky and difficult to conceal and so a handheld would have the advantage.

Having a handheld regardless is good practice. You can’t whip out your WML/pistol to light up an area without justification of pointing your pistol over there.

Practice shooting with a handheld light also. That will most likely determine the answer for you. Try all the different styles of holding/shooting. Can’t wait to hear back about that! Try shooting with a WML also. Of course, do this in the dark, not in daylight simulating darkness. It has to be dark.

There are small lights out there as options. Surefire XC-1 and it’s variants are perfect. Streamlight makes a small one too and maybe even Inforce. You’ll see they’re not that bulky.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

I have a lasermax weapon light on my S&W 642 and a Streamlight TLR6 on my S&W Shield, both are on my CCW card and don't add much bulk or weight to the weapon. I also carry a Streamlight Microstream USB flashlight for when I only need the light. Whatever you choose, train with it and change batteries/recharge often.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

I have a different opinion on this. I do not mount a WML on my CCW. My biggest reason for this is that if I have to employ my CCW it is historically going to be in a close environment (granted not always.... but you can at least track my thought process) and I don't need to extra weight/bulk on my pistol for this purpose. If I need to light up an immediate threat IOT accurately engage it then a counter argument could be leveraged that I could have de-escalated the situation.

I do have WML's on all of my guns in my truck and at the house though

Comment

I see this becoming a more popular option among my students, especially as lights get brighter and smaller. I still use the old school, handheld light, even though it's 1100 lumens, it's for finding stuff and identifying threats in the dark or low-light. If someone is attacking you on the street, or in your home, it is very likely that there is light of some sort. The difference between low-light and no-light, or total darkness, varies greatly. My main purpose as a civilian CCW guy is to identify the type of threat and if there is one that requires a firearm. Military and Police use weapon mounted lights because they have different rules of engagement, policies, procedures andmber whatever you illuminate with your tactics based on their specific mission. As a CCW Civilian, I do not dismiss the use of weapon mounted lights, I just believe strongly that you should carry a separate hand-held light as well. Remember whatever you illuminate with your WML you are also covering with your firearm. So if you light up a group of kids screwing around, your family member sneaking in or out of the house, or an old friend or relative that has the key or code to your front door, you may end up pointing your gun at something that does not require the application of deadly force. Whatever your choice is, make sure you get some professional training in how to use that WML, and what to do if it fails or dies when you need it most.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWUSA View Post
            Remember whatever you illuminate with your WML you are also covering with your firearm. So if you light up a group of kids screwing around........
            Thats a great point. I literally heard this today for the first time and it made me think about it deeper... "Every bullet fired today on the streets has three attorneys attached to it"

With the current climate, responsible firearm ownership and the 2nd Amendment is under relentless assault. It is a sad state, but we gave to remember the reality if we employ our CCW to protect life or property.

Thanks for your point on a stand alone light. You made some great points. I think I will look at my TTP's to see what's right for me.

Comment

All three of the major light brands make micro lights that sit flush with the muzzle of a G19. There's no reason not to carry a WML on a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Smurf View Post
                Previously I asked about WML on pistols and should have clarified better. While I can see the benefit of a WML on a home defense gun or a pistol that is not concealed, what is the consensus about 1 for your CCW pistol. To me it would seem so bulky and difficult to conceal and so a handheld would have the advantage.
                I have two thoughts on this and I actually do carry a light on a couple of my CCW pistols but actually also carry a non weapon mounted light as well. There are plenty of tactics taught to shoot with a light where the light is offset from the gun due to light drawing fire in situations and the ability to use the light without pointing a loading weapon at something for situations where you just need a light. With that being said it is nice to have it as one complete package, with new light options, they can be much less bulky that in the past and don't add a ton of weight. The Surefure XC series is super minimal and conceals well while offering at least a decent amount of lumens. I say run both and call it a day

Comment

With a lot of the new very compact weapon lights on the market I am of the opinion its better to have it than not, I do carry a separate handheld light for those unknown threats or bumps in the night. Where I live most everywhere we go except a few of the stores in town end up in extreme darkness at night.

I have Streamlight TLR-6's on my small pistols, Streamlight TLR-7A's on my compacts and run TLR-HL's or Surefire X-300U's on my full size house and training pistols.
                  I am also of the opinion that if the situation dictates use of force and given the opportunity to use a weapon light why not have the ability to shoot to your capabilities and for me that is with the weapon light AFTER the target is properly identified with a handheld, just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Americanwolfman View Post
                    With a lot of the new very compact weapon lights on the market ..........
                    Have you seen the TRL-8 from Streamlight? I have one on the nightstand pistol and am really impressed with the lumens and how compact it is.

https://www.streamlight.com/products.../index/tlr-8-a

Comment

Originally posted by Steiny View Post

Have you seen the TRL-8 from Streamlight? I have one on the nightstand pistol and am really impressed with the lumens and how compact it is.

https://www.streamlight.com/products.../index/tlr-8-a
                      I have, but am not the biggest fan of lasers on handguns, over my competition and training career I have shot hundreds of thousands of handgun rounds and usually with a weapon light equipped. I have literally killed some well known lights and found for me what has stood the test of time, lets just say lasers have NOT held up to well for us, but YMMV.

Comment

Originally posted by Americanwolfman View Post

I have, but am not the biggest fan of lasers on handguns,
                        I agree with you 100% on the laser point. My only point was that they are making some really compact gun lights now. I do like an IR light when running NODS.

Comment

Working...
                        X