Aiwb sidecar style holsters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aiwb sidecar style holsters

What's everyone's opinion on sidecar style holster? The one with he built in mag holder. Seems like it's huge (that's what she said).

Hello,

appendix carry seems to be all the rage these days. I’ve tried on a few of these sidecars. They work fine enough. It all comes down to personal preference and the willingness to train with what you have chosen to carry. If you want to change it up and rock the sidecar rig do it. Just make sure you have taken the time to retrain yourself.
    Thx for posting
    May the cardboard never see you coming

-THC
    Last edited by Tac Hyve Cadre; 05-09-2019, 10:05 PM.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

I am currently experimenting with this mode of carry, and I see some pros and cons. I have many students that love it, and others that find it more cumbersome. I will put out some reviews of the various holsters that I have been testing, and look forward to providing a full report on my personal opinion.

Comment

Stay away from these holsters.

Yes, they are popular but these particular holsters don't mimic the realities of real world use. I did some research and wrote and article recently specifically referencing the concepts behind these types of holsters and it has been made very clear that aside from the actual position of the gun, which could be done with w better holster, there is nothing which it provides that is necessary.

Having a magazine in that position is not comfortable, hence why people add zippers, 550 cord and whatnot. The whole concept is revolved around square range drill shooting, which is not even remotely close to real world application. So if you want to run drills from concealment using a two hand draw, and get likes on Instagram, this lunch tray holster is for you.

If you want a real world applicable tool, then get something purpose built.
        Last edited by VDMSR; 05-14-2019, 02:35 AM.

Comment

• GlockGuy
          GlockGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          Why do you think so many names in the industry push them on YouTube?

Originally posted by The Cardboard Assassin View Post
        What’s everyone’s opinion on sidecar style holster? The one with the built in mag holder. Seems like it’s huge (that’s what she said).
        Ooh, good question, you’re going to get a variety of opinions on this one! Let’s begin with the obvious: Even a competent pistolero can’t speed load a semiautomatic quickly by using the same hand that he draws with! (A revolver? Yes, but not a semi-auto.)

Consequently, that cumbersome attached mag pouch is in the wrong place! Like all magazine pouches it needs to be located on the support side of the shooter’s body.

What’s the rule? Revolver speed loaders belong in front of the holster, and on the same side of the body as the revolver, itself; and magazine carriers belong on the support side of the body where they are immediately available for a support-hand draw.1.

Originally posted by VDMSR View Post
        Stay away from these holsters.

Yes, they are popular but these particular holsters don’t mimic the realities of real world use. I did some research and wrote and article recently specifically referencing the concepts behind these types of holsters and it has been made very clear that aside from the actual position of the gun, which could be done with (a) better holster, there is nothing which it provides that is necessary. . . .
        Hopefully this topic will remain as a discussion, and not turn into any sort of IGF argument.

There are both advantages, and disadvantages to using an ‘appendix’ (or 2 o’clock) draw holster. As an instructor I, and just about every other instructor I know, do NOT want to see an appendix draw holster on the firing line; and there is absolutely no way that I’d ever want to be caught standing on the left-hand side of a shooter who’s using a 2 o’clock (right-handed) draw!

Neither am I the slightest bit comfortable being around any lightly practiced, or largely inexperienced ‘casual’ handgunner who shows up wearing the latest ‘cat’s meow’ appendix draw holster. Please believe me, no different from learning how to use a SERPA holster correctly, it takes a lot of empty gun practice before a budding pistolero is able to use a 2 o’clock draw holster: safely, smoothly, consistently, and well.

Learning how to work properly out of one of these holster designs doesn’t just happen—OK. This sort of handgun drawing skill takes a lot of dry-fire (and/or empty gun) practice! What are the risks? Well, first and foremost, an ND (not an AD) is the biggest danger; and something unexpected like this can happen on BOTH drawing, and then reholstering the handgun.

On a firing line the person standing on the shooter’s support-hand side is also at much greater risk of ‘catching’ an unintentionally fired round. However—however—the greatest danger is to the shooter/carrier, himself. Why? Because this method of carry exposes the shooter’s extremely vulnerable femoral artery to any ND which might occur!

With these distinct disadvantages in mind I’ll add that, in all my years of carrying and using handguns on an almost daily basis, (sometimes for up to 15 or 16 hours a day) I have never found any holster design that is both more secure to carry, or faster to use than an appendix design. For a shooter/vehicle driver who’s also a right-handed draw there is no holster—in my own experience—that is faster to draw a handgun out of while sitting behind a vehicle’s steering wheel.

Neither is using a cross draw holster the same thing (or better than) using a 2 o’clock draw. I’ve often used both designs and I’ve learned that a cross draw is definitely easier to grab someone else’s pistol out of—and, especially, if the user ends up grappling with someone who’s trying to get at his handgun!

Which I’ve long thought might have something to do with the reason ‘Why’ so many people who carry a handgun will also carry a tactical blade on their support-hand side! (I know I do, too.)

After spending a large part of my life on one firing line, or another, I’ve formed a few hard fast opinions about what (usually) does, and does not belong here:

First, there is no place on a public firing line for either a cross draw, or an appendix carry holster. Each of these (actually special purpose) holsters has its own proper use, place, and time; but using one of these holsters on a public firing line, or placing it in the hands of an only occasionally practiced or ‘casual’ pistol shooter, is neither a safe nor a proper thing to do.

Second, if there’s one place where no firearms instructor should ever allow himself to become accustomed to standing, it’s on a student’s support-hand side. (‘Why’? Because so many errant, or unintended shots tend to break towards the weakest part of the shooter’s grasping hand—THAT is ‘Why’!)

Third, you can never really take your eyes off of a shooter who demonstrates either sloppy trigger finger control, or shows a tendency to point his muzzle away from the target(s). This type of careless shooting demands your attention, and requires a necessary safety lecture to be delivered. (If you have to give a lesson like this more than once, then, it’s time for someone to leave the range.)

Fourth, I don’t mind revolvers being loaded with the gun-hand; but only for as long as the muzzle continues to be pointed downrange, and is never canted nor turned to either side.

In and of itself there is nothing inherently wrong with using either a cross draw, a SERPA, or an appendix carried holster—Only in how well, or not, one of these designs is used. In common with all other holster designs, the safe and proper use of each of these holsters requires a lot of prior experience, and regular practice in order to be used well.

On a firing line, or anywhere else: Working SAFELY out of a holster requires a lot prior experience, and regular dry-fire (or empty gun) practice. As far as I’m concerned anyone who shows up at a shooting range with a brand new appendix carried holster, and a loaded handgun is—without a doubt—courting disaster.

If I’m at a public range and I, even so much as, think that someone like this is also on the firing line with me, then, I’ll leave—That’s right; I’ll promptly pack up my range bag and leave!

The real lesson, here, is that any handgun AND the holster that it’s being drawn out of are only as safe as the practiced skill-level and acquired talent of the person who’s doing the shooting. It’s not actually the holster (any holster) that’s at fault. (Invariably, everything comes down to the dummy who’s using it!)

It is the person who’s using the handgun and holster combination, along with his ACQUIRED GUN SAFETY AND GUN HANDLING HABITS, that makes the real difference! I’ve witnessed this historical accident phenomena with Glock (and other striker-fired) pistols, and I’ve seen it with SERPA holsters, too. So far nothing I’ve either seen or read about from any outside source has, as yet, changed my mind.

Don’t carry your extra magazine on your holster because, simply stated, that’s the wrong place to wear a semi-auto magazine; and don’t ever use an appendix (2 o’clock) carry holster unless you are, first, very familiar with the inherent danger(s) intrinsic to appendix carry, AND very well practiced in its proper and skillful use.

Going into either a confused, or ‘panic mode’ while attempting to draw your pistol from an appendix carried holster would NOT be a good thing to have happen. If your proprioceptive reflexes are unable to safely and smoothly draw a 2 o’clock carried pistol for you—without any conscious thought on your part—then my strong suggestion would be to find another safer and more certain way in which to carry your pistol, OK!

1. “Only a fool (or a shooter who’s been crippled)(Ed.) would attempt to speed load a revolver with his weak hand!” ~ Jim Cirillo
        Last edited by Arc Angel; 05-31-2019, 05:31 AM.
        ‘L‘Enfer C’est Les Autres, Et Les Choses Terribles Qu’ils Font!’

Comment

• GlockGuy
          GlockGuy commented
          Editing a comment
          Arc Angel, love your thorough answers! They are awesome. You should share your background in the Introductions sub-forum.
      Working...
      X