FMJ’s vs JHP’s for self defense ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMJ’s vs JHP’s for self defense ammo

Wanted to get everyone’s thought on hollow point ammo vs FMJ’s. Saw a few ads for Federal HST (what I use) and started thinking if they are really necessary or even advantageous at all. We can all look at the theory behind the expansion, but for a pistol does it matter? In every class I’ve taken I was always reminded that a pistol shot is nothing like the movies and pistol calibers are not really man stoppers regardless of the ammo type. That being said are hollow points even worth it? Many people in the world have been killed by FMJ ammo, I would even say more people have been killed by it than hollow points. Many people have survived being shot by law enforcement who use JHP’s. More and more I find myself questioning the conventional wisdom regarding ammo.

The point of the expansion isn't just cavitation. They were specifically designed to prevent over penetration of the intended target.

If you have neighbors, kids, etc, this should be considered.

Also, getting shot in the face with a pistol caliber round is likely gonna shut down the show. Cops are trained to aim center mass (appropriately so for many reasons but mostly liability), so taking two or three to your upper torso may or may not kill you immediately, or even at all. **** getting shot in the head might not kill you but it's going to **** your **** up hard and fast.

Comment

Quality control.
      Energy transfer.
      Over penetration.

Definitely go with Hollow Point.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

I completely agree with Fred on this. Here was an interesting thing I found in teaching classes and use of cover when it comes to car doors. When the rounds impact the internal strengthening material (bars, panels, plates..etc), FMJ's had less penetration where HP's would just partially shear off and still make contact with the threat.

HP all day long (IMO)
        My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Comment

Blunt objects have been killing people for thousands of years, just because an alternative has worked in the past doesn't mean that there isn't a better option available. And if its common knowledge that pistol calibers suck at putting people down, wouldn't you want every bit of mechanical advantage that you can get?

Comment

Mechanical Advantage!
              I’ve never thought to use that phrase in this context. Perfect! Im stealing it!

Oh, and shot placement makes a difference!

Comment

Working...
              X