Red dots obsolete?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red dots obsolete?

Wanted to get opinions on red dots vs lpvo optics. Would it make more sense to have a low power variable optic instead of a red dot? A lot of instructors are now saying that a red dot is not necesaary and you can get the same results using an lpvo. Thanks.

Red dot sights are much quicker to acquire, have no eye relief, are lighter and will give you good ,fast and accurate shots out to 100 yards, maybe more depending on your eyesight. Not to say that I don't like variable optics, they have their place in the toolbox as well. For self defense ranges will be within 100yds so I recommend a red dot if that is your purpose.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Smurf View Post
      Wanted to get opinions on red dots vs lpvo optics. Would it make more sense to have a low power variable optic instead of a red dot? A lot of instructors are now saying that a red dot is not necesaary and you can get the same results using an lpvo. Thanks.
      Coch is right on with his reply, what are you going to be using the rifle for? if you're going to be working out to 100 "running and gunning" red dot is going to be the better option than anything. if you're doing some three gun stuff working out to 500-600 maybe it's time to start looking at optics to increase your capability. now that's not saying you can't use, lets say 1-6 power optic at 25 but a red to is going to be the better option just like an optic would be the better option at 600. Alway look at the good, better, best option for how you plan on using your rifle.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Thanks for the replies Coch and Billy. Any recommendations for a budget red dot? Everyone knows aimpoint, but not everyone can afford one (me lol).

Comment

• MAC45/70
          MAC45/70 commented
          Editing a comment
          Try the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 or the Sightmark or Bareska, I have all three types and they work . Around $100.00 will get you a sight that will work on AK 47( 7.62x39 ) 308 and 45/70 for rifles and sig makes a good pistol red dot. Go and look at the sight picture and controls to find one your comfortable with.
          Last edited by MAC45/70; 05-06-2019, 11:12 PM. Reason: I posted before I finished

• Coch
          Coch commented
          Editing a comment
          Sig Romeo 5 and Holosun in the $100-$200 price range, they are reliable and bright enough for sunny days on the range.

$100 bucks. I'm SOLD!

Comment

No. Red dots are not obsolete. On the two way range seconds count. I’ve watched guys try and fail in the training house with theses new super do it all scopes. On a carbine or less length upper meant for 200yds and in, the 1x dot rains supreme. For a 16” + recce or DMR type rifle, fine go big. But for defensive 200 yds and in I’ve got to go strait 1x dot. It’s the most user friendly leap in combat aiming technology to date.
          Last edited by Tac Hyve Cadre; 05-11-2019, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Red Dots aren't going anywhere. Fast. Simple. Light. Effective. They are as accurate as the user can be. Limited Division 3-Gun shooters know their holds and make shots out to 400+ yards all the time. Personally, I am a LPVO kind of guy these days. I choose the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x. It has clear glass, very forgiving eye box, and less visual blocking around the glass than most red dots bodies. It is definitely heavier and costly, but for me its worth it. There are pros and cons with any optics system, but make sure you consider them all for your intended use. Anything can be good as long as you train with it and know how to use it effectively.

For another option check out the Vortex Crossfire red dot for about $150.

Comment

I recently purchased a Vortex Spitfire and really like it. It has a 1MOA dot in the center for those precise shots you need at distance and has 2 circles around the center. The ridicule is etched on the glass so if the batteries die you can still shoot. It also has a BDC built in to the top turret for easy long distance shooting. They are pricey at about $250.

Comment

I have a sig Romeo 5 and I like it . It works great and did not cost a whole paycheck 👍😀

Comment

for the smaller guns and closer ranges a red dot makes a ton of sense, if you need more then put a magnifier on it. If you are shooting 200 plus a lot or patrol rural areas, have the gun in your truck for coyotes, etc etc then yes put a lpvo on there. I, like Fred, run the vortex razor 1-6 on a lot of my guns. The NF 1-8 is also fantastic and I've heard good things about the Bushnell options as well but have not ran them personally.

Comment

Working...
                  X