Best magazines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best magazines

Pmag vs lancer vs usgi. Just a matter or preference or is there a true best? Thanks.

Hello Smurf,
    I’ve been using Pmags for almost a decade or so now. They have gone through a few upgrades over the years. I’ve never really had any issues with them. The newest version PMag was adapted by the USMC as their standard issue. I’ve had them break and wear out a little here and there but I’m a full time shooter. Before that I used USGI aluminum mags same as everyone. I even still have a bunch of original rubber Magpuls for the gi mags. If you are using gi type mags try picking up some no tilt followers to help with feeding. I’ve used the lancer mags a little bit here and there. People seem to like them. I think all 3 work about the same. Mags should be cleaned ever so often, especially if you get them wet or dirty. Before long trips abroad my friends and I would get a new batch of mags just to be sure. So I’d say it’s really a preference. I’ve got a bunch of the gi and pmags so I’ll be sticking with those.

-THC
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

• GlockGuy
      GlockGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Is there are general rule in terms of how often magazines should be cleaned? I have to admit, I’ve never cleaned any of my magazines.

Hey Smurf,
    If you've never cleaned them, it's time to clean them. As for how often, that will depend on the evirement you use them in, dust, mud etc. at a minimum once or twice a year should keep them running.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

• GlockGuy
      GlockGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      I think your message was meant for me instead of Angry Smurf. Thanks for the info. It's been ages and I have never cleaned my mags. So I guess I will make it a point to do so!

• Arc Angel
      Arc Angel commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! I’m just thinking out loud here; but, if a collection of magazines (and we, all, have our collections, right) has never been cleaned then how does a shooter know if: (1) His magazine followers are unscuffed, and correctly angled; (2) if the inside of his (actually ‘combat critical’) magazine walls (and lips) are free of: dents, protrusions, and/or caked on crud; or (3) whether or not any of his well used magazine springs are worn, starting to stretch, or have become torqued off their all important vertical axes?

A properly cleaned and adjusted detachable box magazine is a true thing of beauty! I know I, for one, would never want to get caught using a less than 100% flawless magazine in any of my guns. Over the years I've taken the time to get to know each of my all important detachable box magazines very well—In fact, just as well as I know several of the salespeople who answer the phones at Wolff Gunsprings.

(Which is, I suppose, a big part of the reason ‘Why’ I’ve so often exceeded 12 to 15 THOUSAND flawlessly fired rounds through many of my semiautomatics!)

Yes, I understand that knowing how to: (1) check and/or adjust magazine lips and followers, (2) test well used springs for acceptable stretch, and/or (3) align spring coils properly along their vertical axes are NOT easy things for a casual shooter to learn how to do; but, hey, being aware of and understanding how various magazine components, springs, and ammunition relate one to the other in order to ‘get the job done’ is all part of ‘THE ZEN’ behind hitting the mark and becoming ‘ONE’ with your otherwise flawlessly performing gun!

It’s one thing to have a perfectly functioning weapon that you know you can use to eat, and otherwise keep yourself alive with; it’s entirely another thing, though, to understand how to keep a primary weapon up and running smoothly. Some shooters can spot and/or prevent a potential flaw from occurring BEFORE it happens; other shooters, however, are the ones who end up with jammed and/or sporadicly firing guns.

Keeping your magazines (and weapon) clean, and learning how to adjust various magazine tolerances within their required parameters becomes more and more critical as you wind up farther and farther away from ‘home’. (I'd like to have $10 dollars for every time I've seen something like this!)

Know what? This topic might be a good subject for an entire thread of its own!

• GlockGuy
      GlockGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the additional feedback Arc Angel! I need to get a move on cleaning my mags!

Hey Smurf,

I've used aluminum, steel, and PMAGs...

All have performed as they were supposed to, I wasn't as big a fan of steel mags as they were a bit heavier and tended to rust when exposed to the elements. The PMAGs in their most recent configuration work great, I've never had significant problems with the old school aluminum mags either, sure sometime they wear out and misfed etc. when that happens I trash em and get new ones. Overall I like them both. To be honest, for reloading drills on my rifle, I try and find a mag that sticks in the mag well, that won't just fall out when I depress the mag ejection button. I have found aluminum mags work best for that. I know you weren't necessarily looking for that answer...anyway, I hope you found this helpful.

Comment

Hello Glock Guy!

I thought I recognized your avatar so I went back through my earlier posts, and I see that you are the fellow who originally asked whether or not it’s practical to upgrade from a Gen3 Glock to a later Gen4, or Gen5 version. (That’s actually a good question that I’m sure many a Glock owner has stopped to think about.)

Do you know what? In light of your most recent comments on magazine maintenance, there is something more to be said on the above topic. I don’t want to break up the continuity of this particular thread, so I’m going to go back to your original question and post my additional comments there—OK! Here we go: https://forum.tacticalhyve.com/forum...-or-5-versions
      ‘L‘Enfer C’est Les Autres, Et Les Choses Terribles Qu’ils Font!’

Comment

Working...
      X