Short stroking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short stroking

I have a new daniels defense 16 inch m4 upper midlength and i noticed it was short stroking and stopping on the round in the mag. I was wondering since i have been online looking at other forums, if it is my H buffer and spring assy? Should i just change over to a standard carbine buffer and spring? I only ask, because i use this assembly in my m4 carbine and she runs smooth all day. The ammo is Federal 223.
    Last edited by DReese; 06-04-2019, 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention midlength

Hey DReese,

I ran into a similar issue with my DDs. I have two, a 10.5 and 16 inch, and both required a few hundred rounds to break them in (they are known to need a good break in period), and after, they both were operating properly. Also, have you cleaned and oiled it well? I ask because on my shortie, I made the mistake of using it without cleaning and oiling it first, and that caused major issues. However, after a good clean and oiling and getting a few hundred rounds through it, it now works perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey Myles,
      i did have it oiled up and ready to go. I was wondering did you use a standard carbine buffer or a H buffer in your 16 inch?

Comment

• Myles
        Myles commented
        Editing a comment
        Standard.

Perhaps the SMEs can provide some insight into your current issue.

Dear DReese

Have you had a chance to put at least 500rds through it yet?
      Did you buy a complete DD rifle or just the upper?
      Did it come with a BCG?
      How many shots out of 100 does this problem occur?
      Did you try different mags?
      if you have other buffers and springs have you tried swapping them out yet?
      that DD 16” should work fine with the H buffer. It’s just going to need more of a break in.

-THC
      Last edited by Tac Hyve Cadre; 06-11-2019, 05:58 PM.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Without having it in front of me its hard to tell, but try the standard buffer and spring (simplest and cheapest fix to start) If that dosen't work call DD, they will be the experts on that gun and will know if its an issue.
        My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Check gas rings. Sharp.
          Check carrier key. Not loose.
          Check gas block. Not loose.

Comment

Went back to the standard carbine buffer and allowing the bcg and upper wear away any tightness or rough spots and it seems to be working fine. The BCM bcg has the JP coil gas ring and the gas keys are all tight.

Comment

fastest way I've seen people mess with their AR15s is with reinventing the wheel on buffer and bolt carrier weights. Doesn't mean you can't make any individual one work but they have to be chosen wisely with the gas system you have. not every buffer and spring will work with every bolt carrier group with every gas system. I have watched multiple parts builds have constant issues because people wanted the gold nitrided lighteweight ninja adamanteum BCG and the "enhanced" super shock buffing buffer and spring. Then the guy next to them with a 500 dollar DPMS runs like a sewing machine the whole class.

Comment

Hi DReese, Not sure if you fixed the issue yet or not but, in the event you haven't, I would call Chris McNeil at DD. His work number is 912-318-5772. I worked for DD for years and know that their customer satisfaction warranty is on point. if he can't resolve your issues over the phone, they usually send you a shipping label and do the warranty work in just a few days. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                X