Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shot placement to the right when firing from 50 yards...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shot placement to the right when firing from 50 yards...

Hey guys,

Been working the carbine hard these days, and after today's training session, I noticed that I'm doing something to make my shots drift to the right when shooting at a relatively quick pace from 50 yards out, i.e. 10 shots in about 7-8 seconds at an 8-inch circle. I will typically have 2-3 shots out of the circle to the right.

I can't really tell what I'm doing wrong, but I don't have the problem when shooting 10 shots in about 3.5-4 seconds from the 25-yard line. But once I step to the 50, I'm noticing my shots are a little to the right.

Any ideas? I know it might be difficult to diagnose without seeing me shoot, but any ideas off the top of your heads?

Interesting phenomenon. How is your vision? What optic are you using?

Comment

Vision isn't the greatest...wear contacts, but even with them on I know I'm not seeing what others with good vision, do.

Using an Aimpoint Micro T-2.

Definitely doing something to make the shots go right. I notice that my muzzle flip moves towards 2-3 O'Clock sometimes (still trying to diagnose why), and it could be because of that and firing too soon before the dot settles.

Comment

But you don't notice it happening at closer distances. If it was some inconsistencies in your technique I'd think that you'd see it no matter what. I happen to be one of those people with little bit of a stigma, so sometimes when I'm looking through an RDS I see some irregularity in the dot itself. Obviously, up close it is a non issue but you start getting out to distance and it does become a bit of a nuisance.

Put a go pro on next time you go out man, record yourself shooting, i do this when I'm trying to figure **** out like that.

Comment

You’re probably doing the same thing at 25 yards (maybe), but at 50 yards it’s more noticeable because the projectile has more time to move away from point of aim.

Is the same problem occurring if you shot with no time limits for the shot group at 50yds? If no, then it’s you. If yes, probably the gun.

Gun:
          -check zero
          -check optic mounts
          ​​​​-did you change rounds recently? Try a new round.

You:
          -Check your right (strong side) foot. Point your right foot toes directly to target. Do not angle them off to the right.
          -See the acceptable sight picture you need before pulling the trigger. You may be sending the next shot before settling to a proper sight picture. “See what you need to see”.
          ​​
          Let me know!
          My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Im also interested in knowing if you are running a sling or not? Ive noticed that recoil management tends to push the rifle to the 2 o'clock for right handers and 11 o'clock for wrong handers (I meant left handers) for those not running a brake. If this is the case also look to see if moving your buttock a little more centerline with your clavicle makes a difference. When I demo or run full auto, that helps me manage the recoil better and keep on the target.

Let us know.
            My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Appreciate the input!

It’s definitely me. I can nail 50 yard shots in the circle without misses if I’m not trying to do so under 8-seconds.

I just haven’t been able to pin point what is causing the issue. I’m using a sling, but a single point, so I don’t get the potential benefit of using the 2-point in the way you (Dave) showed in one of your quick tips to manage recoil.

Fred, I’m going to be more conscious of letting the red dot settle and Dave, will try that different buttstock placement, too. Thanks again, guys!

Brock, with all the filming we do you would think I would watch myself shoot to improve, but I don’t. Haha. I will start doing that!

Comment

One more thing you can check, sometimes your point of impact will shift slightly depending on where the red dot appears in the scope. Its not supposed to, but I have seen even Aimpoints have some shift. Try shooting at your target moving your cheek weld so the red dot appears at the far left and right of the scope, that should expose the problem if its there.

Comment

Originally posted by Coch View Post
                  One more thing you can check, sometimes your point of impact will shift slightly depending on where the red dot appears in the scope. Its not supposed to, but I have seen even Aimpoints have some shift. Try shooting at your target moving your cheek weld so the red dot appears at the far left and right of the scope, that should expose the problem if its there.
                  Thanks, Coch. Will check that out, too!

Comment

Also check that you are actually holding the weapon upright, a slight cant will also give you a left-right impact shift.

Comment

That is definitely could be it...I have been experimenting with using a slight can't so that I don't have to tilt my head to see the red dot. But I cant it slightly left so I assume trajectory would lead more shots to the left that right. But I have been canting the rifle.

Comment

Canting the weapon to the left will shift the red dot point of aim to the left, the trajectory of the bullet remains the same, so you will hit to the right of where you are aiming.

Comment

Working...
                        X