Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Right Hand Rile fire, left hand pistol fire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Hand Rile fire, left hand pistol fire?

I am considering getting into three gun. People are telling me I need to be able to shoot both weapons with the same hand. However I am I guess what you consider left handed. Actually I only write with my left hand, but i use my rand for everything else. When it comes to shooting, I am using a right handed rifle...and am excellent right handed with the rifle. However, when it comes to pistols, I cannot shoot accurately with my right hand, I am excellent with my left hand. Do I need to train my self to shoot both with the same hand?

Hey SoloLobo84,

Fred Ruiz and other members who do 3-gun and competition shooting will likely be able to answer your question.

I've never heard that it's a requirement to shoot both with the same hand, but I assume it will help improve your speed if you can--kind of how people train to shoot their carbines with both hands (because environments might favor shooting with one hand over the other). I don't know for sure--just an assumption.

Comment

I'm not a three gun shooter, so I don't know the rules for competition. Training for combat, we have guys a few who shoot right hand rifle and left hand pistol, I haven't seen any noticeable difference in speed, just obviously, a slight difference in technique when transitioning from primary to secondary weapon. We train rifle strong side as well as support side to make the best use of available cover, pistol we train strong side two handed, strong side single hand and support side single hand. Single hand is trained in case the other hand is occupied (holding a ladder, hostage, bag of gold etc.) Support side two hand pistol is really not necessary.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

It will affect you in the sense on how your gear is set up on your belt.

Comment

So basically, I can run how I want to run with it. Your right though, I should probably train both hands with each weapon. Thank you all for your input, I thought this was gonna be one of those forums where you post, and none one responds. Thank you all so much.

Comment

Yes you can run it with whatever hand, but the issue is how you store magazines on your belt. Left hand pistol holster, magazines on right. Right hand rifle means reloads on left side where the pistol holster would be or somewhere there. I believe there are rules that state how and where you can place the mag holders. That will pretty much mean that you will have to shoot with 1 side predominantly.

Comment

You’ll be good to go. There are no gear rules in 3-gun that limit your belt setup. Rules mostly limit what accessories are on your firearms. The tricky part is where to put your rifle mags since your pistol is on the left side. There are a few options, but it depends on where you run your shots shell caddies. If you run caddies on your belt, then they are typically in the front so you’ll have to run your spare rifle mags behind the pistol. If you run your caddies on a chest harness then you can run your rifle mags horizontally on the front of your belt. Or you can run a chest harness or drop leg pouch for your rifle mags. It really doesn’t matter. The most important thing is to just get started competing. Once you get out there and see the different setups out there it will give you some inspiration and ideas to figure out what works for you. If you have other questions about 3-gun, please post them up!
              My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Coch View Post
                I'm not a three gun shooter, so I don't know the rules for competition. Training for combat, we have guys a few who shoot right hand rifle and left hand pistol, I haven't seen any noticeable difference in speed, just obviously, a slight difference in technique when transitioning from primary to secondary weapon. We train rifle strong side as well as support side to make the best use of available cover, pistol we train strong side two handed, strong side single hand and support side single hand. Single hand is trained in case the other hand is occupied (holding a ladder, hostage, bag of gold etc.) Support side two hand pistol is really not necessary.
                Bag of gold. Lol

My personal opinion is learn everything you can, put no limits on your weapons training.

I tell left handed shooters pretty frequently that it's a right handed world so you better adapt.

I don't shoot 3 gun, by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by SoloLobo84 View Post
                  I am considering getting into three gun. People are telling me I need to be able to shoot both weapons with the same hand. However I am I guess what you consider left handed. Actually I only write with my left hand, but i use my rand for everything else. When it comes to shooting, I am using a right handed rifle...and am excellent right handed with the rifle. However, when it comes to pistols, I cannot shoot accurately with my right hand, I am excellent with my left hand. Do I need to train my self to shoot both with the same hand?
                  One more thing... After rereading your post I'm curious to know if you're talking about single handed shooting with the pistol...this could be a stance and eye dominance issue. Look into that

Comment

Working...
                  X