Gun Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Cleaning

What are your thoughts and habits for gun cleaning? When I read the manual for Glock, S&W, or any other manufacturer, they all say the same things.

“Clean it when the firearm is brand new before you shoot it the first time.”
    “Clean it after each time you shoot.”
    ”Clean it every few months if you aren’t shooting.”

I’m the kind of guy who actually reads and follows the manual, and I keep all the firearms in my household as clean as possible. I also CCW, so I place a high value on reliability and dependability.

Other people will of course say things like:
    ”Don’t clean it till you get a malfunction.”
    ”Cleaning your guns is bad for your guns.”

So where do you fall on the gun cleaning spectrum?

Clean every 1000 rounds or so which breaks down to roughly once a month for me.

Comment

Depends on the firearm for me. Hunting firearms get cleaned at the end of its season, unless needed earlier. Carry guns get weekly wipe downs, and full clean and lube after a practice session. I am a full time instructor, so my range guns don't get cleaned until they break or malfunction too much.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewL14 View Post
        What are your thoughts and habits for gun cleaning? When I read the manual for Glock, S&W, or any other manufacturer, they all say the same things.

“Clean it when the firearm is brand new before you shoot it the first time.”
        “Clean it after each time you shoot.”
        ”Clean it every few months if you aren’t shooting.”

I’m the kind of guy who actually reads and follows the manual, and I keep all the firearms in my household as clean as possible. I also CCW, so I place a high value on reliability and dependability.

Other people will, of course, say things like:
        ”Don’t clean it till you get a malfunction.”
        ”Cleaning your guns is bad for your guns.”

So where do you fall on the gun cleaning spectrum?
        I clean my daily carry after each time I use it. It does help that I have two of many of the guns I have. I practice a lot with one, and the others (the ones I carry or have 'just in case of emergencies) I shoot only once in a while to make sure they're working.

In general, for my Glocks/Sigs, I will go 3k to 5k rounds before cleaning and even oiling, without an issue. But as soon as I see/feel the slide slow down, I add oil.

In the past 1911s I clean after each use. With my Hyperion, I have been cleaning it every 2000 without issues.

Comment

Thanks. It’s good to hear all the different feedback. I like to hear that people will generally clean and lube their EDC gun more frequently. It makes sense since lives depend on it, and you need absolute dependability. Not to mention it gets sweaty and dirty sitting in your pants, car, etc.

But if you have dedicated range guns or practice guns, it may not be as important to keep the training guns quite as clean. Plus if they jam occasionally, it can be a bonus training aid.

Comment

Working...
          X