Looking in the mirror sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking in the mirror sometimes

I strongly believe that iron sharpens iron and to get better you need to train with those that will push you to excel. I thought long and hard about posting this and decided to lift the skirt and tell you what was on my mind.

When Myles came down to film our portion of The Journey, I found myself uncharacteristically nervous. I had seen all of the other SME’s portions and have great respect for you guys and well,….. I was honestly nervous about being weighed and measured. I know what I teach and I know how to deliver that instruction to a very high degree and was surprised that I was nervous. That nervousness wound up being a great addition because it forced me to take a critical look inward and ultimately made me better.

Everyone has levels and ties where they become complacent and it is not easy to risk being weighed and being measured against a group of professional peers that you respect. It forced me to be more introspective following the filming and has re-galvanized my instruction and delivery.

Understanding that it is not something we typically talk about and if we’ve learned nothing in our former SOF lives, we have learned that constructive and ruthless after-action review’s (AAR’s) are paramount to building the strongest versions of ourselves.

Did any of you have similar or introspective approaches after seeing yourself on film?
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

This is a ****ing awesome post and only shows how humble and knowledgeable you are bro. I watched the episode, thought it was excellent, and even downloaded it to watch again while traveling next week.

Not a single person who does this **** for a living has their game 100% perfect. That's a funny thing to consider as most of the guys at Tactical Hyve, specifically, would be considered the 1% of the 1% that is spec ops.

Ya'll are a cool ass group of dudes. Humble and deadly as ****. Stay that way.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback AVRDefense. We all want to be better versions and I welcome any constructive criticism or debates.

Good travels next week my man.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Man that post was full of win. Humility, accountability, eagerness to learn all in one.

Comment

I 100 percent understand that mindset, especially when I've been cold for a couple months I get nervous as **** getting back in front of people. I get nervous posting videos too which is why you've got texts from me for a sanity check. I also watch SO many people on social media just go so far out of their lane trying to teach EVERYTHING, I can't even imagine trying to do that. Someone asked me the other day about shotgun classes and I had to laugh, only real time I have on a shotgun is breaching. It is one of my weakest things and I would never attempt to teach it till I got WAY more familiar. Great post man and one of the reasons I respect ya so much.

Comment

Bro,

Love this; and yes, admittedly I am just a decent shot, nothing special, not like a lot of people that are SME's on the forum. I think that the pressure is good, just like you said, it makes you better. Now that I am retired from the military I do not have much of that pressure heading my way anymore. I miss it, I do believe that it keeps you sharp and pushes you to be better than the person next to you...in a healthy sort of way.

Comment

Phenomenal post and a very humbling perspective. We all appreciate your honesty.

I am exactly the same way, and I have classes 47-50 weeks a year. It's good to never assume that you've got your game 100% in this business, because I don't think anyone can attain that level. If I ever get that way, it's time to quit!

Comment

Working...
              X