Ear protection: what do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ear protection: what do you use?

We’ll be reviewing various ear protection and wanted to find out what you use. Perhaps there are some really good brands that we haven’t heard of that deserve a look.

3M Peltor Tactical Ear Plug TEP-100. The best inside the ear electric noise cancelling earplugs. Comes in a kit with multiple tips for different sized ear holes and charges off of 3 AA batteries while stored. A bit on the expensive side but your hearing is worth it.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

I want to try out the plugs that Coch is talking about. Ive seen them and am really interested in them. not a single person has said a negative comment about them.

When it come to ear pro, I've used everything from Peltor's to Sordin's to foamie's to custom molded inserts to loose brass (not recommended but was better than nothing at the time).

While I really like Peltors with the gel cups, another great and inexpensive pair of electronic hearing pro is the "Impact Sport" by Howard Leight. What I like about them is the audio plug. When I was shooting National Match courses and needed to practice but had no one to call commands or time....... I recorded what firing line commands I needed and could play it from my iPod that was connected to my headphones. It was a very effective way to train when no outside support was available.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Yeah, I love the 3M earplugs. I use them all the time and with their foam inserts, I can be in the loudest indoor range and not have to double up. The only thing is battery life. Used continuously, I get about 3-4 hours before I have to recharge. So for an all-day shoot, one needs to consider this.

I like them so much though, that I had to get two. So when one pair runs out of juice, I charge it and use the other one. If you're into earplugs, check them out here: https://amzn.to/2H2yQVC

I have the Impact Sports, and know a lot of people who like them. The only problem I personally have is they smash down on my cauliflower ear! haha It's very uncomfortable for me. I think most people won't have this issue though.

Comment

I shoot doubled up all the time. I use a pair of Dillon HP2 (NRR21) ear muffs with Radians Resistor 32 foam ear plugs.
          The only time I don't use the muffs is for hunting with a handgun. Then I keep industrial rated ear plugs on a tether attached to a hat or my shirt collar. Can't afford to touch off a round of 454 or 45 Colt with no ear pro

Comment

Working...
          X