No announcement yet.

Thick front sight or thin front sight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thick front sight or thin front sight?

I’ve read a lot about top pistol sharp shooters using thin front sights on their handguns because it lets a shooter see more of the target and get more precise shot placement.

For self defense, I like thick front sights for faster sight acquisition. I have not used a thin front sight for fast, shooting from within 10 yards. I imagine a thinner front sight will be slower to pick up than a thick front sight. Do any of you use a thin front sight? If you do, is there a negligible or big difference in acquiring your sights versus a thick front sight?

I use Sevigney Target sights with thin fiber optic front post on most of my training/competition guns. It really comes down to a personal preference on sight picture. I don't find any noticeable difference in sight acquisition. I prefer to see more of the target since I am usually only managing/monitoring sight alignment in my periphery.

I do however have thick front sight posts on most of my daily carry guns but only because they have tritium inserts.
    Move FAST, Shoot in CONTROL

www.stealthshooting.com

My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

I really like HiViz and Warren sights. For me personally, I like having a wide front sight with a good fiber optic on it and a solid black rear site (unless it is an EDC with tritium sights, then dots on the back too). Good square edges with minimal space on the left/right to me is the only way I can shoot precise at extended ranges. When I shoot sights that are rounded or there is too much open space it screws me up and my groups suffer for it.

Having just a single dot on the front and a solid back helps me acquire my front sight faster and facilitates what I can only call a "soft focus" for close shooting similar to the stages found at most matches.
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

For most, a thinner front allows quicker acquisition and easier alignment because more light passes between the front post and the rear notch.

Thicker front posts are more durable and if they get hit and usually chosen for duty style pistols.

Personally, I prefer the thinner front. I run Dawson fiber optic front and black rear on all pistols no matter what the purpose.

To each their own...

Comment

I prefer a thinner front sight, it makes identifying even gaps a little easier for me. I have some thicker on some of my "tactical" guns but for making longer shots it is a little harder and I find I have a hard time being as precise while under pressure.

Comment

Personally, I also prefer to use a thicker front sight blade. Why? Because, on the one hand, I’m an older shooter; and my eyesight is not as acute as it used to be; and, on the other hand, all of the handgun shooting I do nowadays is combat-orientated CQB pistol work that occurs at and inside of about 20 yards.

Because of both the high hand speed involved, and the close proximity to a typical target, it doesn’t make much sense for me to waste time trying to even out those open spaces on either side of my front sight. Consequently, a narrow front sight blade isn’t going to give me any sort of genuinely useful advantage.

Instead, I prefer to take a lower overall hold on a target’s COM; (I usually place the top of my front sight blade at low center chest.) and, then, I allow my dominant eye to 'grab' the very top of my pistol’s slightly elevated front sight in order to complete a speedy and correct combat pistol front sight picture.

Thereafter, and with regular practice, it isn’t difficult to control and maintain a front sight picture/hold like this through an ongoing series of multiple ‘taps’, or periodically interspersed shot strings.

This:

Not this:

Here, look at this silhouette target:

Now, your slightly elevated CORRECT front sight ‘hold’ should be exactly at the top of the lower number nine's position.
            ‘L‘Enfer C’est Les Autres, Et Les Choses Terribles Qu’ils Font!’

Comment

I like Dawson fiber optic front sights and solid black rear sights, thicker sights tend to be more robust, and I'm not gentle on my gear, so they work best for me.

Comment

Honestly it depends on what you plan to use the gun for.

Less distracting rear sights, more attractive front sight post is kind of the rule I follow.

Fiber optics (with the above considered) are great, because when you combine that "no distraction nonsense" with a weapon or handheld light... Man... That fiber optic looks like a red/green dot. Your eyes should draw to that front post.

For you, I think you need some combination that allows versatility. For me, personally, I've set up my 19X to be an all purpose weapon. .. EDC... Home defense. Thus, the sights I've put on it are all purpose.

You will get varying answers to your question. I'd simply ask where you intend to use it

Comment

Working...
                X