Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for cutting a dovetail into slide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for cutting a dovetail into slide?

Hello All,
    I'd like to have a dovetail cut in the front of my Kahr S9 slide if affordable, any recommendations? I would like to upgrade the stock sights to the XS Big Dot night sights or even Standard Dot night sights if plausible. My rear sight has a dovetail cut already but my front sight has the pin in style, consequently my sight options are highly limited.

Thanks,
    Ralph

I’m not a Kahr expert so I’m not sure if it’s even possible. Also, do you know the sight height would be correct? I’ve got 2 suggestions:

1. Get a Glock 43/43X/48 (not trying to be a smartass!). They have so many more options.
    2. Call Dawson Precision and see what solutions they can give you. Only sights I use. They’re awesome.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Hey Fred,
      Thanks for the input. I looked at and considered a lot of different striker fired pistols prior to settling on my Kahr S9 and it really wasn't close. I really love the Kahr trigger in comparison to all the other striker fired guns I handled for the following reasons.

1. The Kahr trigger doesn't have a wall. So the trigger pull is smooth all the way to the unbeknownst break and that is unlike all the other striker fired guns I handled. This would include Smith & Wesson, Bersa, Ruger, Walther, Sig Sauer and Glock.

2. The Kahr trigger doesn't have any stacking, consequently the pull is consistent all the way to the break.

3. The Kahr trigger is absolutely buttery smooth with no grit or grab whatsoever on my S9.

4. My S9 trigger pull is 5.5# which is just about perfect for a ccw gun. I really would like it to be 5# but 5.5# is really close and a good polishing or more break in time may get it nearer the 5# mark.

5. The trigger pull is longish and many consider that a negative but for a ccw that is actually a positive, IMHO. I am always conscious of my guns that I carry but I can carry this firearm with little apprehension. I wouldn't want a ccw with a light trigger and short trigger break personally.

The Kahr S9 is somewhat in between their affordable line of pistols and their premium line. It actually has all of the features of their premium line with exception of the front sight dovetail cut and polygonal barrel. All the other guns I tried are all quality firearms but the Kahr just seemed a better fit for me. If I can get a dovetail cut for under $100.00 or so then I'd opt to have it done. If not, then I'd simply get a Kahr P9 which has the front and back dovetail cuts already.

Thanks,
      Ralph
      Last edited by Ralph III; 10-28-2019, 01:58 PM.

Comment

If you think that the length of lb of your trigger pull is going to be the difference between you making a life long regretted decision and going to jail or not, you should probably rethink your strategy there.

Everything you stated there can be addressed through proper mindset and training, and now you've got a carry gun with little to no options for aftermarket parts.

Think about that

Originally posted by Ralph III View Post
        Hey Fred,
        Thanks for the input. I looked at and considered a lot of different striker fired pistols prior to settling on my Kahr S9 and it really wasn't close. I really love the Kahr trigger in comparison to all the other striker fired guns I handled for the following reasons.

1. The Kahr trigger doesn't have a wall. So the trigger pull is smooth all the way to the unbeknownst break and that is unlike all the other striker fired guns I handled. This would include Smith & Wesson, Bersa, Ruger, Walther, Sig Sauer and Glock.

2. The Kahr trigger doesn't have any stacking, consequently the pull is consistent all the way to the break.

3. The Kahr trigger is absolutely buttery smooth with no grit or grab whatsoever on my S9.

4. My S9 trigger pull is 5.5# which is just about perfect for a ccw gun. I really would like it to be 5# but 5.5# is really close and a good polishing or more break in time may get it nearer the 5# mark.

5. The trigger pull is longish and many consider that a negative but for a ccw that is actually a positive, IMHO. I am always conscious of my guns that I carry but I can carry this firearm with little apprehension. I wouldn't want a ccw with a light trigger and short trigger break personally.

The Kahr S9 is somewhat in between their affordable line of pistols and their premium line. It actually has all of the features of their premium line with exception of the front sight dovetail cut and polygonal barrel. If I can get a dovetail cut for under $100.00 or so then I'd opt to have it done. If not, then I'd simply get a Kahr P9 which has the dovetail cuts.

Thanks,
        Ralph

Comment

Ralph,
          Sounds good to me! If that’s the gun that’s right for you then I can respect that. I would try calling Dawson Precision and see what they can do for you. I also have a contact at TruGlo that I can possibly use as a resource, but you won’t get anything custom from them.

Let me ask you this though.... why XS Big Dot? Have you tried them before? Have you tried asking XS?
          My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

quote by AVRDefense...."If you think that the length of lb of your trigger pull is going to be the difference between you making a life long regretted decision and going to jail or not, you should probably rethink your strategy there".
            I have no idea what you are talking about and your statement is from a point of ignorance, with due respect.

I've been hunting and shooting for nearly 50 yrs (since age 7) and I've shot a wide variety of guns over that time many with completely different trigger systems all with a high degree of proficiency. I prefer a 5# trigger on my carry pistol whereas other folks may prefer a 3# or 4# while others a 10# pull. I prefer the Kahr trigger system because it is very smooth. Part of being a good marksman is picking a gun that best suits you and the purpose you use it for.

Secondly, I am someone who makes very sound decisions and accustomed to working under pressure. Although nobody could ever truly know how they would react in a self defense situation, in which a gun is used, it isn't in my nature to panic. If however I ever did find myself in a situation in which I had to defend my family I would do so without hesitation and with whatever means necessary to protect them.

quote by AVRDefense...."Everything you stated there can be addressed through proper mindset and training, and now you've got a carry gun with little to no options for aftermarket parts."

Think about that
            Again, I have no idea where you are coming from. I've been hunting/shooting for nearly 50 years as noted and I am a tennis player. I've been involved with athletics since the age of 4 which would include an interest in boxing/martial arts as a teenager. So I know how to concentrate and I know how to get into the proper mindset no matter the situation.

In regards to my pistol. It is nearly perfect for me as a ccw and I have no desire to put aftermarket parts on it with exception of some night sights.

God Bless,
            Ralph
            Last edited by Ralph III; 11-06-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Ruiz View Post
              Ralph,
              Sounds good to me! If that’s the gun that’s right for you then I can respect that. I would try calling Dawson Precision and see what they can do for you. I also have a contact at TruGlo that I can possibly use as a resource, but you won’t get anything custom from them.

Let me ask you this though.... why XS Big Dot? Have you tried them before? Have you tried asking XS?
              Hey Fred,
              I installed some Trijicon night sights but ended up removing them because the front sight dot was just to small for me. I really struggled picking it up so I reinstalled my stock sights. I like the XS sight system because they utilize the i-dot system and the front sight is prominent. The XS Standard may suffice as well. Other manufacturers of night sights use the three dot system which I do not prefer on my ccw. I can pick up the front sight much quicker with the i-dot type. I've contacted XS and a few others but nothing yet....

God Bless,
              Ralph

Comment

Regarding the XS Big Dot, I ran one on my 1911 EMP as the stock sites are terrible. I really liked how my eyes could catch the front sight quickly. The two things that I didn't like were the dot is too big and it really is meant for 'combat accuracy' as the front sight covers the majority of a target at a certain distance. Also, their sites were supposed to fit a 1911 EMP, which the rear site did. However, the front sight would always come loose no matter what I did to keep it in place.

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
                  Regarding the XS Big Dot, I ran one on my 1911 EMP as the stock sites are terrible. I really liked how my eyes could catch the front sight quickly. The two things that I didn't like were the dot is too big and it really is meant for 'combat accuracy' as the front sight covers the majority of a target at a certain distance. Also, their sites were supposed to fit a 1911 EMP, which the rear site did. However, the front sight would always come loose no matter what I did to keep it in place.
                  Thanks Myles for your input. That is my concern with the Big Dots and why I may opt for the XS Standard dot instead. A local FFL and gun store has the Big Dots in stock so I will stop by to check them out asap.

Did you get the painted rear sight or the tritium rear sight combo? What color did you opt for?

Thanks,
                  Ralph

Comment

I got the the tritium in white. The front sight was really big and definitely easy to spot.

Comment

Ralph,

I wish I had better advice or something. If I see anything I’ll be sure to send it your way. I don’t have much experience with Kahr or XS. I’d say just cut a dovetail into the slide then.

Comment

Working...
                      X