competition shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• competition shooting

I'm interested in dabbling with competitions. I have 12 years in the military and currently work for the local sheriff's office (corrections). Where is the best place to start?

Hey Chris, welcome to the forums!

There are a handful of guys into sport here who can chime in, but Fred Ruiz is definitely one guy you should talk to. I'm sure he'll see your message soon.
    Last edited by Myles; 07-09-2019, 06:35 AM.

Comment

USPSA production is probably your realm. IDPA is hit or miss and a lot of people have heart burn on it. If shotgun isn't your thing, there are a lot of two gun events around the country that look like a ton of gun, Fred shoots a lot of three gun and I look to be able to soon. If you have a long range background then PRS is a ton of fun and a great way to hone skills. I cannot recommend getting out on the comp circuit enough, if only just to have fun and hang out with good people. Too many scare themselves away cuz they don't have the fanciest gear to be competitive.... I'll tell you a secret.... you won't be anyways, at least for a while. It is a humbling place to watch some of the guys burn it down but it can also motivate you with the right mindset.

Comment

How much does each match usually last? Do competitors have to be at a match all day?

Comment

it really depends. There are a lot of 1 and 2 day matches for all of the types. Typically, you have to stay all day for the rifle matches etc or until you finish your last stage. Most pistol matches I've seen, especially the one day matches the guys and gals just leave when they finish the stages and clean up and get their scores off a app or website later once they are figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisdaniel View Post
            I'm interested in dabbling with competitions. I have 12 years in the military and currently work for the local sheriff's office (corrections). Where is the best place to start?
            There are a lot of resources these days to get started competing. One of the best places to start are right with the organization’s website. Check out: www.uspsa.org, www.idpa.com, or www.steelchallnge.com. These websites have areas on how to get started and also feature a search engine to find local matches in your area.

Don’t get caught up with winning and gear and fast and scores. Just go out with an open mind and have fun. Just bring what you have and the club members will guide you.

Match fees can range from $15-30 for a local match or up to $400 for a 4-day national level match. Start with your local club. A typical weekend match will go morning to afternoon on either Saturday or Sunday. When you’re done, go home and enjoy the rest of your day. Most scores are posted on the website www.practiscore.com. Just be sure to ask your local club members what club name to search for. Match score all around the world from
            multiple disciplines are posted on PractiScore.

Don’t spend any money on new gear to get started. What you have is probably just fine. You’ll figure out what to buy once you get out a few times. You’ll also better spend your money on really solid training than you would a fancy race gun. Trust me here. You cannot buy your skill.

What gear do you have now?
            What other questions may you have?
            My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

That's a lot of great info. Thank you. I will definitely do some research into those websites. I have many different holsters, but I typically carry a sig 228 9mm in a galco leather holster.

Comment

This is something I am interested in as well, I have only ever shot 1 idpa match and an idpa qualifier... and that was years ago, I have been wanting to go again but am nervous about it...

Comment

Originally posted by Skfrye View Post
                  This is something I am interested in as well, I have only ever shot 1 idpa match and an idpa qualifier... and that was years ago, I have been wanting to go again but am nervous about it...
                  Best thing is to just do it. Just be safe and no one will give you a hard time. We all started somewhere and everyone had to eat humble pie. You're probably not going to get 1st place you're 1st time out, not even close and that's ok. Just be safe.

PS. DON'T BE THAT GUY THAT DOESN'T HELP TAPE UP TARGETS AND FIX PROPS. Everyone knows who that guy is.

Comment

Working...
                  X