How to get started?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get started?

Wanting to start in some long range rifle and looking for a place to start. Obviously rifle and I'm looking to start as cheap as possible so my wife doesn't kill me. Thinking of the Ruger American Rifle in 6.5 creedmor. Aside from a decent scope, anything else? Speaking of scopes, looking at a Vortex to start off with. Thanks.

Billy , BruiserInd , and Scott Satterlee should be able to point you in the right direction!

Comment

alright, so the RPR is a great platform. Vortex is a great place to start. First thing I tell people is you make your money with glass. I would rather see a 500 dollar rifle with 2k dollar scope than vise versa. You can't hit what you can't see. The vortex PST gen 2 is a great FFP scope at a good price, Bushnell has some offerings that are good and not terribly expensive. It can get expensive as you get more into the sport. other things you may want to add eventually:

a good tripod and either high power set of tripod mounted binos or a spotting scope
      a ballistic app on your phone can work but a ballistic kestrel is amazing
      a good rear bag (Armageddon gear, Wiebad, TAB gear, etc etc etc)
      a good stable bipod is a must (do not go cheap). get a Harris at a minimum, but there are a lot of good options now. I run atlas bipods

The RPR is cool because it takes AR10 upgrades like rails and stocks. I was just helping a friend's wife shoot one this weekend. its a cool little package. Feed it good ammo and you'll have a ton of fun. I warn you starting down this path is addictive lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Angry Smurf View Post
        Wanting to start in some long range rifle and looking for a place to start. Obviously rifle and I'm looking to start as cheap as possible so my wife doesn't kill me. Thinking of the Ruger American Rifle in 6.5 creedmor. Aside from a decent scope, anything else? Speaking of scopes, looking at a Vortex to start off with. Thanks.
        Great question, i'm actually writing an article on this now because there's much to talk about when getting into long range shooting. From my experience your choice for the Ruger American Rifle isn't a bad one. As the other SME said the Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) is a great platform because it has a ton of options you would normally have to buy aftermarket with a standard rifle like the one you intend to buy, so before I can give you a good answer I will ask what's the purpose for the rifle? hunting, target shooting, competition etc. or do you want one rifle reasonably priced that that may not be the best for one but good for all? also what model vortex are you looking at? what's the price range for the whole build? if you can give me that I can tell you how i'd spend the money.
        Thank you
        Billy-
        My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post

Great question, i'm actually writing an article on this now because there's much to talk about when getting into long range shooting. From my experience your choice for the Ruger American Rifle isn't a bad one. As the other SME said the Ruger Precision Rifle (RPR) is a great platform because it has a ton of options you would normally have to buy aftermarket with a standard rifle like the one you intend to buy, so before I can give you a good answer I will ask what's the purpose for the rifle? hunting, target shooting, competition etc. or do you want one rifle reasonably priced that that may not be the best for one but good for all? also what model vortex are you looking at? what's the price range for the whole build? if you can give me that I can tell you how i'd spend the money.
          Thank you
          Billy-
          Actually looking for a reasonably priced all around. Since this will be my 1st one I’m not exactly sure what I want or will like so something that can be changed around as I figure things out would great. Kind of like an AR. As far as a Vortex, I was looking at the Diamondback tactical FFP scopes that they have to start with.

Comment

I will say that I would rather see someone with a less expensive rifle and a more expensive scope. The scope is where you make your money. Get a tikka T3 or a r700 and a more expensive scope and then you can alter the gun as you find your preferences. I would recommend this over getting a higher dollar rifle and then going less on the scope.

Comment

I was also looking at the Tikka T3.

Should I start with a 308 or go to 6.5 Creedmor?

Comment

the 6.5 creed has very similar ballistics to a 300wm out to 800-1000, the benefit that a 308 has is barrel life. A 6.5 will get between 2500-3000 rounds on a barrel with 308's regularly going 6000-8000 rounds with pretty hard use. Barrels should be considered a consumable and something you will replace anyways if you shoot enough. Availability of ammunition isn't really a thing anymore as 6.5's popularity has made it very accessible.

Comment

I picked up a used Savage model 10 in 308 in a McMillan stock for about $700. It's been a real shooter and a super easy rifle to work on myself. I purchased a demo Vortex Viper (which still carrys the warrenty) for $350. The combo shoots handload into .5-.6" groups at 100. Might be a good way to go if you're looking for ways to keep cost down. 😁

Comment

Hi TacticalBSM,

I hope your rig works out for you. One thing I have seen happen several times with the Viper is that it can't hold up to the .308 punishment. Please keep an eye out for reticle shift or rotation. If your groups start going to hell and you are sure you made a good shot and good followthrough, don't automatically assume that it was you. double, triple check your glass, reticle and torque. Please don't get me wrong, Vortex makes some great glass but like most companies, there are Good,Better, Best models available. I agree with the other SME's and would upgrade your glass as soon as possible. Don't scrimp on good rings or base as well.
                    Last edited by Steiny; 08-12-2019, 02:29 PM.
                    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

I helped my dad set up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creed.
                      With a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 mounted up with the supplied rail the gun reaches 1000 yards.accurately quite easily, with factory ammo.
                      We put a Defensive Edge brake on the rifle so my nieces and nephews can shoot it during hunting season and they can easily hold sub-MOA groups with the gun.

It is not an expensive or sexy rifle, but it is a platform someone looking to begin long range shooting can put together for about $1000 and dip their toe in the water to see if the long range game is something they want to play seriously.

My hunting partner has a RPR in 6.5 with a Night Force and the little Predator consistently printed groups just as good. The advantage with the RPR is that you can screw a new barrel on when the 6.5 gets shot out.

Hitting things at long range is a hoot. Be aware it can be addictive and expensive.

If you move toward the .308 you can also put together a very accurate and lightweight rifle you can use for hunting as well. My T3 Lite in .308 is a 1/2 MOA rifle with hunting bullets. With a 3-9 scope it is MOA out to 400 yards. With more optic and adjustable turrets I've broken rocks at over 900 yards with no problem. I suppose if I experimented with some long range bullets and really worked on the load I could easily go out to 1200. The real limitation is how much vertical adjustment is in your optic and how well you can see the target at extended ranges.

Comment

Working...
                      X