Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To The Long Range Shooters

Greetings,

Just wanted to poll the forum, what is your choice of projectile and caliber for whatever you do with your long gun? Hunting, range training, competition etc. personally, I use three calibers for long range hunting the .308 Win, .260 Rem, .223 rem. For the .308 I've been testing the 168gr hornady AMAX for a 20in barrel 1:10 twist in an AR platform, the first deer I shot with this round just was passed 400m and it nearly took the front leg on the exit side off, the deer was dead before before it hit the ground. For the .260 I choose the Norma Diamond Line Bullet boat tail hollow point (BTHP) 130gr. I choose because my 260 is primarily used for long range hunting I gave up some of the terminal ballistic factors to gain accuracy at long distance the 130 is about the heaviest projectile that will fit in an 308AR Mag. its also an insanely consistent. My 260 has a 22in barrel 1:8 twist. finally my favorite little long gun to shoot, train with, everything, the .223. For hunting I can't stop using the hornady 55gr VMAX, superior terminal ballistics never had an accuracy issue I normally us it for coyotes and you won't be disappointed. As far as range training goes you can't really beat the blackhills 77gr (BTHP) tried and true still used in the military today. My setup is an AR platform with an 18in 1:7 twist barrel.

What do you use?

Billy-
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

I have a few. I have a 223 trainer bolt rifle chambered for 77's because of ammo availability. I have a couple 308's due to working with LEO a lot and use whatever ammo they use. I have a 6 and 6.5 creed because of availability of factory loaded match ammo. Was running the 130 norma in my 6.5 and the 105 Berger and then the 108 in my 6. I have a 6.5 SAUM to push the big 6.5 pills over 3000. I also have a 300norma that I had chambered for the 215 Berger. I have a couple 300's and 338's I rarely run anymore.

Comment

Not a bad setup brother
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Lol, I went full tilt on the competition side and have been shooting the 6 Dasher. However, I always keep a few 6 Creed barrels on hand as well. Recently shifted gears back to the 6.5 Creed for the same reason as Joe. It's hard to beat the availability of factory match ammo. I train a lot of SWAT Snipers and believe it or not, there are a few starting to make the switch to 6.5 Creed down around our neck of the woods. My favorite hunting rig is still my 6.5 shorty suppressed. It slays TN whitetail like a champ! On the gasser side of the house, 223s still rule my safe but I have a custom 224 Valykrie that I have had impressive results with.
        Last edited by JRedding; 09-10-2019, 06:50 PM.
        Move FAST, Shoot in CONTROL

www.stealthshooting.com

Comment

I run three calibers. 6.5CM, .300WM and 5.56

Bolt gun side of the house I use a Surgeon 6.5CM, a Defiance Big Horn 6.5CM and a custom Rem700 .300WM.

For precision gas guns I run a Daniel Defense MK12 or V7 Pro.

I am a huge fan of Hornady, Berger and Lapua ammo and components. Hornady has been turning out some terrific factory loads and has proven to be very consistent. On their 6.5CM 140 ELD-M’s it is common to see MV’s over 2750 with an SD under 10 (great for factory). Federal is loading Berger 130gr Hybrids in their GMM (Gold Medal Match) factory ammo now also. I haven’t had a chance to run this ammo yet but I want too because…… well….. they are FAST plus there are times when I’m over the allowable 11lbs of ammo allowed by TSA and need to locally source ammo. Its great to know you can get dependable performance from box ammo if you need it.

My favorite 6.5CM hand load is (or should say, most consistent for me):

Berger 140 Hybrid (BC 0.607)
          42.0gr of Hodgen 4350
          Peterson Small Rifle Primer brass (I shoot a lot of Hornady brass because, Well I have more of it)
          CCI BR-4 Small Rifle Primers (I don’t recommend using SRP’s if your shooting in the cold though. They can be temperature sensitive compared to LRP’s IMO)

For my 5.56 I pretty much only run factory ammo now for precision (55gr reloads for short range). When I shot Service Rifle for the AMU we used 80gr VLD’s for our 600y ammo but the OAL was to long to load in the mag so it was all hand fed. Now I use either Atlanta Arms or Black Hills 262 in 77gr.

When I retired I was given a custom .300 from the shop at AMU and I was able to source two cases of Mk248 Mod 0 that I am still working through. So, I haven’t really played with this load at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JRedding View Post
            Lol, I went full tilt on the competition side and have been shooting the 6 Dasher. However, I always keep a few 6 Creed barrels on hand as well. Recently shifted gears back to the 6.5 Creed for the same reason as Joe. It's hard to beat the availability of factory match ammo. I train a lot of SWAT Snipers and believe it or not, there are a few starting to make the switch to 6.5 Creed down around our neck of the woods. My favorite hunting rig is still my 6.5 shorty suppressed. It slays TN whitetail like a champ! On the gasser side of the house, 223s still rule my safe but I have a custom 224 Valykrie that I have had impressive results with.
            yeah with SOCOM picking up the 6.5cm I see more LEO moving that way as well. I hope I'm right and it doesn't take 20 years to convince them to move as its such a simple swap.

Comment

We just shot a few boxes of Nexus 142gr Match 6.5CM ammo yesterday. WOW!!!!! I am supper impressed with them. The box claims an average MV of 2770 but after trueing my kestrel at 825yds, I was at 2930fps for MV. (I tried to uploading my add some pics of the ammo and kestrel but its still kicking my ass...lol)

Comment

Just about every long range shooter you poll will have different answers for every situation whether it be competition, hunting, or tactical, and in some instances it really becomes a ford verses chevy verses dodge verses some guys who buy into a round just because they think it will make them a better shooter, but they don't do any better with a 6 running well over 3K than they would have with a 308. On the competition side right now there's a lot of guys running a variety of 6mm variants from the Dasher to the XC, BRA, CM or the more recent GT. Reasoning ranges from speed to feeding to one just being easier to load for and easily maintain lower SD/ES numbers. Hunting you'll see everything from Joe's 6.5 SAUM to the 28 Nosler and now the newer PRC options. Even tactical and training will start seeing more shifts as the mil side appears to at least be attempting to catch-up to 2019. Projectiles it's the same story really. The three most popular in competition would probably have to still be DTACs, Bergers, or Hornady. Nosler tried to make a go with their RDF, but frankly there's just been too many guys that can't get them to shoot well.

Comment

Originally posted by JRedding View Post
                  These 6.5 are devastating! how is the short did you go on the shorty?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy View Post

These 6.5 are devastating! how is the short did you go on the shorty?
                    I've seen people do 18-20" guns and love them. I'm still torn on cutting that much off and losing so much velocity but you still get a high BC bullet that has great terminal ballistics and lower recoil.

Comment

18" on the shorty
                      Move FAST, Shoot in CONTROL

www.stealthshooting.com

Comment

Hi iam new to the forum but not to long range shooting. I use custom built 6.5 creedmoor 26in bull barrel with 140 gr eldm with 43 gr of IMR 4350 loaded at 2.835 .20 jump and last but not least is master piece arms 338 lapua mag 26in barrel I use 285 and 300 grain eldm with h1000

Comment

Working...
                        X