Recommended Programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Programs

I know there are a ton of different fitness routines out there, each with their pros and cons.

I was wondering if the SMES follow a certain program. I'd love to hear about it.

Hey GG,

It all depends on what you want to accomplish, what are your fitness goals? There are a lot of great programs out there and they will all get you fit in their own unique way.

When I first joined the teams the flavor of fitness was very segmented; you ran, swam, did calisthenics, and lifted. You would never do the exercises together, you would never mix muscle groups, etc. It was a very different scene than what you see today. Since that time I have done Crossfit, Gym Jones, GMB, Ido Portal, Parkour, etc.

So before we dive down the rabbit hole on this one lets narrow the spectrum.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

• GlockGuy
      GlockGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Greg. I am interested in staying in staying in good enough shape that if I ever got into an altercation, I would not get winded fast. I don’t really care for bulking but I do want to get stronger.

What are your thoughts on Cross Fit? I’ve done it but it doesn’t seem like they follow any logical progression to their training and a lot of people I know have injuries because of it.

Glock Guy,

I was an early Crossfit practitioner, it is a really good system, it has been a while since I've checked them out to be honest. The last time I was on their main page it was free, there are any number of apps that cater to that methodology. The programming for Crossfit Football is very methodical, I really liked what they had on their site, I used it extensively when I was deployed to Afghanistan, was a bit older as an operator, yet still had the drive to keep up with the young bucks. It more than did the job. It has a lot more heavy lifts associated with it. Check it out.

Now that I'm even older still and concerned with longevity, yet still want to be fit, I have plugged into the movement culture. I purchased several programs off Gold Medal Bodies and have been extremely happy with them. I also go to Parkour a couple times a week at a local Parkour gym that provides classes with organized instruction with trainers. For a more cardio piece I row, I acquired a partially broken C2 rower a long time ago and if you haven't tried one they are pretty awesome!

To balance everything out from a recovery perspective; I prescribe to the Wim Hof methodology as often as I can, I stretch with the Joe Hip program, and do Pilates a couple times a week.

Really the bottom line is to do something that you enjoy, if exercise isn't stimulating to you and is more of a chore get out there and try something else.

I hope this helps.
    My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

• GlockGuy
      GlockGuy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the information Greg. It helps!

program wise, like Greg said it is all dependent on goals. People tend to fall into the bulk and then cut cycle endlessly and are never really happy because they are either maintaining too much fat for the bulk or losing muscle for the cut. if you aren't a bodybuilder then it really may not be the best program for you. I have always loved Gym Jones/ mountain athlete type programs and teach that myself. Functional fitness lifestyle as compared to a cycling type program. One that looks for sustained lower body fat while slowly adding lean mass.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Hey there ,

Definitely set some goals and see what you really want to do. Is it build muscle, strength, training for a 5k, lose 10lbs or just be healthy...... what you decide to get into is up to your goals.

Also your budget. Can you afford a 50 dollar monthly gym membership or are you okay with running to a park near your house and doing calisthenics.

For me it took me about a week to decide I wanted to do less weightlifting and focus more on stretching and flexibility to help prevent injuries.

Best of luck !

Comment

Have you checked out realworld tactical on YouTube?? He has some great videos on how he trains. Obviously he's a very seasoned individual so he can push himself extremely hard. Just remember to start slow and progress weekly or as needed to be ready for altercations etc.

Comment

for a few hundred dollar investment you can get enough to kick your own ass in your garage. I workout in my garage twice a week at least as well as trail run 2-3 times a week. some kettlebells, slam balls, sandbags, and a jump rope can accomplish a lot.

Comment

Hey you guys,
              What kettlebell exercises will benefit shooters the most? I’m mainly a competitive shooter but I’m sure the exercises benefit shooters on both sides of the house.
              Last edited by moscrilla99; 08-16-2019, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by moscrilla99 View Post
                Hey you guys,
                What kettlebell exercises will benefit shooters the most? I mainly a competitive shooter but I’m sure the exercises benefit shooters on both sides of the house.
                Hey Mocsrilla99,

Here is a link to every KB exercise I do (with the exception of the "sheeve toss" that I do pretty frequently too).

I thought this link might be better then me trying to explain it..... I KNOW I would confuse myself...lol

https://www.coachmag.co.uk/kettlebell-exercises

Hope this helps
                Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave,
                  What workout style gave you the best results? Low reps/heavy weight? HIIT? Tabata Style?

Comment

Moscrilla99,

sorry for the delay, we have been moving to a new house this week. I found that I perform at optimum levels when I train HIIT style training. Programs like RAW (Ranger Athlete Warrior), P90X, XFit and mountain athlete give me the best results and there are soooooo many of them it can be easy to fend off repetitiveness and getting stagnant.

Comment

I fall in line with Dave on this one. I find my overall "life" performance is the highest when I follow a more functional approach. I may not be able to bench press a car or run a marathon but I can do a high volume of work at a high level. Fitness is one of the places I think an approach of good at everything and master of nothing is a nice place to be. A 1 rep max on squat has limited functional transition to rear world unless you are competing, especially at the expense of cardio capability. The other Side of that is training to run so much that you have zero muscle mass and no capacity for strength work. I do a lot of metcon type workouts but still get my cardio in. For me that is typically trail runs, jump rope, or sprints. I put all my workouts in IG if you happen to be on there. @bruiserdynamics, I program for me heavily around a previous back injury but may give you a better idea of types of workouts.

Comment

[QUOTE=Greg Hake;n229]Glock Guy,

To balance everything out from a recovery perspective; I prescribe to the Wim Hof methodology as often as I can, I stretch with the Joe Hip program, and do Pilates a couple times a week.

Definitely two thumbs up for Wim Hof

Comment

Working...
                        X