Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who carries when they are active (ie; hiking/ running/ etc)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who carries when they are active (ie; hiking/ running/ etc)

I trail run a lot, I also hike a lot and I try to think about things that could be needed in those scenarios. In my trail running bag I have some basic first aide items, tourniquet, and a knife for some "oh ****" simple scenarios. When I hike I carry a little more robust of a "oh ****" kit with some basic survival things, space blanket etc just in case you get to spend a night in the mountains or some weather blows in etc.

with that being said, who carries a gun when they run or hike and what is it? I know a lot of my friends carry revolvers when they hunt and hike. I've been looking at the S&W 327 pug as a good mountain gun (8 shot 357). When I run I don't carry anything typically as I haven't found a super comfortable way to do it yet. I absolutely see the reasons why you would and will once I find a way to do it that is accessible and isn't insanely uncomfortable.

Anyone have any options they use?

Have you tried one of those belly bands with a light revolver? I haven’t personally used one, but have read some runners swearing by them when they are out running.

For general hiking, if I lived outside CA, I would likely use a chest holster.
    Last edited by Myles; 02-03-2020, 07:35 PM.

Comment

I've seen those but haven't tried one yet. I have a S&W 640 pro, a p365 or a 938 I guess any of those could possibly work. then again it doesn't take much to justify a new gun purchase

Comment

This would be an excellent question to ask of Bill Rapier. TONS of experience on this very subject.

Comment

I carry when I'm fat biking, mtn biking and hiking. Depending on where I'm at, I carry an M&P 9 or 9c when I'm in areas where I don't think there's a likelihood of bumping into a grizzly. In grizzly country I carry a Sig p220 10mm in a chest holster.

I carry my 9c in a belly band when I mtn bike or fat bike.
          Last edited by CoachChris; 02-06-2020, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CoachChris View Post
            I carry when I'm fat biking, mtn biking and hiking. Depending on where I'm at, I carry an M&P 9 or 9c when I'm in areas where I don't think there's a likelihood of bumping into a grizzly. In grizzly country I carry a Sig p220 10mm in a chest holster.

I carry my 9c in a belly band when I mtn bike or fat bike.
            How do you like the belly band? Do you think it would be secure enough if you went running?

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post

How do you like the belly band? Do you think it would be secure enough if you went running?
              I like it. I've been using it for 3yrs. I think it would be fine for running with a sub-compact. A compact might be a little heavy. I've ridden some pretty rough, technical trails and even hit some pretty decent airs with it on without the band or gun moving.

Comment

Cool. Been looking for something good to use while running. Will give it a try.

Comment

Ever since I started hiking I've carried a full sized pistol either on my hip or strapped across my chest. Sometimes I'll carry a big ass knife on my thigh, just to make it fair for anything that wants to eat me.

Comment

Working...
                  X