Ideal Number of Guns to Have for Home Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal Number of Guns to Have for Home Protection

I read the article about which home defense gun people recommended which was helpful in giving me an idea of what type of gun to use, but one thing I was wondering is how many guns should I have in my house? Say I have a three-bedroom home with a garage, would it be wise to have a gun in each room (secured of course) or am I opening myself up to danger if an intruder gets a hold of one?

Hey Cotton Mcknight,

Glad you liked our round-up article.

I know people will have different rules about guns at home, especially if someone has children. Personally, I carry my gun on me from the moment I wake up until I go to bed. When I go to bed, it's on my nightstand. Once my daughter is older, I will do the same thing but my gun will now be kept in an easy access safe on my nightstand.

This is just me, but I think having a gun in every bedroom is over-kill. I know there are people who do though. Maybe you're a high-value target that needs guns everywhere?

I do have multiple pistols and rifles, but they are kept in my safe.

Comment

For me at a minimum 2, 1 rifle and 1 handgun. My handgun is with me from the time I wake up until I go upstairs to retire for the evening at which point it goes on my nightstand. I then have the AR out as the primary and then handgun is for my wife. My dog who sleeps downstairs is mean and will bark at anyone so that is our early warning system along with the regular alarm.

Comment

I keep whatever gun I'm carrying out and then I have a 870 with a side shell carrier in my bedroom, thats it and the rest are put away. My carry gun is on me typically or in the room I'm in at least. I have some loaded mags in my safe for a couple of my AR's if I really needed to ge to them but really I should be able to solve most problems with a good pistol and 13 rounds of low recoil 00 buck.

Comment

Good Question!
          I've got quite a few spread out around the house most of them are G19s with lights and lasers. My House and work shop are separate. The house locations are Bedroom, office and kitchen all G-19. I have my got too AR in the Shop with my plate carrier, loaded mags and helmet. Sounds silly and probably is but I can't help it.
          My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Im with Scott on this. We ran out of room in our safe so we have guns all over (so it seems) but most of them are empty. We do keep Glocks in the office, kitchen, bedroom and cars that are load and kitted with lights/lasers. My plate carrier is also set up and ready to run with my AR in the garage as well. Our Chechz Shepard and Maligator are there to give me time to access what ever gun (or sword or spear) I am closest to if something like that happens. Sounds silly to me too but I also can't help it...lol
            My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Since having experienced an early morning home invasion on an otherwise quiet Sunday all the way back in October of 1990, I have never been out of immediate physical reach of one of my usual EDC pistols. Neither do I keep unlocked firearms anywhere else in the house.

We live in a rancher with very large and easy to climb thru double-hung windows. One of my usual worries is about what might happen to us if someone were to crawl through a window at the other end of the house and find one of my guns locked, loaded, and ready-to-go? (As far as I'm concerned it's just not worth the risk!)

Years ago we used to keep two superlatively trained Pit Bulldogs inside with us; but in recent years I've had to give up the kennel, and stop training search/guard dogs. So, nowadays, neither my wife nor I would know if an intruder were inside with us until it was (I hope not literally) too late!

In fact it's this time of year, when the windows are all open, that I worry about the most. Among other things, the top of my everyday working desk always has a: computer, keyboard, smartphone, tac light, an old (but very sharp) Gerber ‘Mark II’, and a Glock Model 21 (along with two extra magazines) lying across the top of it; and THIS is the way I think things should be for adequate home defense in today's always uncertain and ultra-violent world!

However I do have to admit the past ten years have been remarkably quiet; and it pleases me to say that, without being asked, several of our younger neighbors have taken to looking out for us. (Nice of them!)
              ‘L‘Enfer C’est Les Autres, Et Les Choses Terribles Qu’ils Font!’

Comment

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! Good advice, very helpful, and lots of food for thought. I would definitely agree with keeping my EDC pistol on or near me. I know I just feel safer when I'm around it.

Also, the dogs are a good call. While I like dogs, I'm not sure how committed I am to taking care of one, but I'll keep that idea in mind if I ever do.

Arc Angel, man that's rough. To think someone would invade someone else's home, let alone on a Sunday morning of all times, really gets on my nerves. I'm glad to hear the last couple of years have been much better for you.

Comment

All the guns.

Comment

AVRDefense wins.

Comment

Working...
                    X