Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where can a civilian get good tactical training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can a civilian get good tactical training?

I've attended a lot of workshops across the U.S. and they all have been good. The problem I've had is that many of them focus on becoming a better shooter but I haven't been to one that can help me bridge the gap between being a good shooter and being able to shoot well in a real altercation.

What do you feel is the best thing I should do?

Can you recommend any workshops or courses?

Originally posted by GlockGuy View Post
    I've attended a lot of workshops across the U.S. and they all have been good. The problem I've had is that many of them focus on becoming a better shooter but I haven't been to one that can help me bridge the gap between being a good shooter and being able to shoot well in a real altercation.

What do you feel is the best thing I should do?

Can you recommend any workshops or courses?
    Hey GlockGuy,

I think I can help. I was in your exact position and had the same questions. I've been to many workshops that have marketed the course as being advanced, etc., but I was always disappointed.

There's nothing advanced about going over the basics for two entire days. It's always a good idea to work on the basics, and I do ALL THE TIME. But to invest two whole days and more than $600 on each workshop for stuff I already know and can practice on my own, well, I was frustrated, to say the least. I'm no expert, but I know enough to know when I'm wasting my time, money, and effort.

I was fortunate to have one of our SMEs, Matt Mellinger our resident Glock expert, make some key introductions that opened the door to a whole new world for me. I am so glad and grateful that Matt believed in me enough to make the connection with some of the best guys out there. From that point on, I've been training with them privately.

I personally have not been to any workshops that I would recommend that "bridge the gap,' yet. I'm really looking forward to attending one of Bill Rapier's force on force workshops in June. He is highly respected, recommended, and I've had several calls with him, and he is a cool guy. Tactical Hyve will be conducting a full video review in June. If it's great, I'll make sure the world knows!

One of the big reasons I started Tactical Hyve was to scratch my own itch--to find the best people and places to train with, i.e. people who can truly help me bridge the gap, and to share all the good I find. I'm sure there are great workshops out there, and we (the Tactical Hyve team) will be attending many across the nation and share full reviews of the best.

As for what else you can do, I'd say the best option would be to train privately with instructors/trainers who have been in gunfights. When I say instructors and trainers, I mean they should have extensive experience at training others in addition to being good gunfighters. Just because someone is good at something, doesn't mean they are good instructors. I see this in everything--business, martial arts, shooting, etc. Just because someone is a champion MMA fighter does not mean that can train you to be as good. Some of the best MMA fighters I know simply suck at teaching. So just because someone is/was a Ranger, a Navy SEAL, a Green Beret, a Marine Raider, etc. isn't enough for me. I need to know they are good trainers. For example, many of our SMEs have been entrusted with teaching hundreds and thousands of students--not just civilians, but experienced soldiers and law enforcement. So they know their stuff. These are the types of people you should train with in my opinion.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Check out amtacshooting.com

Bill Rapier is an excellent instructor who not only teaches how to shoot but why, and has a progression of classes which is highly developed.

Comment

• GlockGuy
        GlockGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        Any idea if he teaches workshops only? Or does he have regular classes in the same venue?

GlockGuy, maybe I can build a custom workshop just for you and your friends in your home town. Is that something you'd be interested in?
      My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Hello Fred, that might be possible if I can round up enough people who are interested. I'm in Sacramento. I will need to look at different ranges to see if we can rent them out.

Comment

Originally posted by GlockGuy View Post
          Hello Fred, that might be possible if I can round up enough people who are interested. I'm in Sacramento. I will need to look at different ranges to see if we can rent them out.
          Check out Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.
          My posts are for general educational and informational purposes only. What you do with this information is your responsibility. I encourage you to seek out professional instruction. Nothing replaces in-person training with a qualified professional to ensure you learn properly and train safely.

Comment

Working...
          X